|Public Relations and Communications Specialist|
|Florida Education Association|
|EXTERNAL POSTING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Job Classification: Professional A – FSO Bargaining Unit
Supervisor: Director of Communications
Location: Tallahassee Headquarters – Extensive Travel Required
Position Summary: The Public Relations and Communications Specialist will work with the Director of Communications to help maintain and shape the Florida Education Association’s and its members’ image in ways that promote the organization’s strategic goals, values and mission. Along with Communications Director and Assistant Director, the Specialist will be responsible for establishing and maintaining media relations and collaborating with the communications team and other departments.
COMPETENCY FRAMEWORK – The incumbent must embrace, possess and exhibit the following effectiveness competencies:
• Oral Communication – The Specialist may at times be called upon to speak on behalf of the FEA. When doing so, the Specialist must be able to clearly explain the organization’s position. Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information; makes clear and convincing presentations, listens to others; attends to nonverbal cues.
• Self-Management/Initiative – Sets well-defined and realistic personal goals; displays a high level of initiative, effort, and commitment towards completing assignments promptly; works with minimal supervision; is motivated to achieve; demonstrates responsible behavior. The Specialist must respond quickly to news developments and maintain the organization’s reputation.
• Teamwork – Encourages and facilitates cooperation, pride, trust; fosters commitment; works with others to achieve goals.
• Written Communication – Must be able to write well-organized and clear press releases and speeches. The Specialist must be able to grasp the key messages and write them in a short, succinct way to get the attention of busy readers or listeners. Recognizes and uses correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling; communicates information in a succinct and organized manner, produces written information that is appropriate for the intended audience. Social media has become important in PR and earned media campaigns. The Specialist must be able to use new types of social media and digital content effectively.
• Planning and Evaluating – Organizes work, sets priorities, determines resource requirements, determines goals and strategies; coordinates with other organizations, monitors progress; evaluates outcomes. The Specialist will at times be managing several requests and responses at the same time, requiring superior organizational skills.
• Integrity/Honesty – Contributes to maintaining the integrity of the organization; displays high standards of ethical conduct and understands the impact of violating these standards on an organization, self, and others; is trustworthy.
• Interpersonal Skills – FEA work is a team effort. Not only will the Specialist deal with the public and the media regularly but also with other department staff, directors and local union leaders across the state; therefore, the Specialist must be open and friendly to maintain a favorable image for the FEA. Shows understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy; develops and maintains relationships; deals with difficult people; relates well to people from varied backgrounds; is sensitive to individual differences.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Salary per the negotiated agreement between the Florida Education Association and the Florida Staff Organization based on credited experience. Employer-provided hospitalization, medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance; employer-paid retirement; vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
FLORIDA EDUCATION ASSOCIATION IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
|How to Apply|
|Interested applicants should email a statement of interest, updated resume and 3 writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org|